Details and booking for all our courses can be found here.
Coming along to a course is often the best way to learn. We try to make attending causes as easy as possible for schools by making all course attendance FREE OF CHARGE for schools buying into our service level agreement (otherwise £70 per half day).
We recognise, however, that releasing teachers from classrooms is still costly. For that reason all courses can be adapted and brought to you either as staff meetings or as in-class support where the teacher can learn alongside the children. Please contact us to arrange this.
Herefordshire Digital Leaders Programme – Pupil Conferences – Spring 2018, all 09:30 – 14:30
The focus for the Spring 2018 pupil conferences will be announced shortly. Dates and venues will be as follows:
- Monday 5th March – Ledbury Primary School
- Monday 12th March – Holmer CE Academy, Hereford
- Monday 19th March – Hampton Dene Primary School, Hereford
- Tuesday 27th March – Ashfield Park Primary School, Ross-on-Wye
- Wednesday 28th March – Trinity Primary School, Hereford
The Herefordshire Digital Leaders’ Programme is all about empowering pupils to lead on technology in learning. Conferences for pupil leaders are held on a termly basis. They are always a huge success and so many heads and teachers have told me that the initiative is already having a big impact on computing in their school.
You can see what the children think of the Digital Leaders’ Programme on their blog here
Primary Computing & Literacy Spring & Summer Conference
Date to be arranged – 13:00 – 15:30
Herefordshire Council, Plough Lane, Hereford
The usual round-up of topical computing news and views with a theme yet to be decided.
Details of the book and agenda to follow.
PAST / FUTURE COURSES – DATES TO BE PUBLISHED SHORTLY
The courses below are some that have recently proved popular. Please contact us to express your interest, either in attending a course or if you’d like us to come and provide support for these issues in your school.
Springing off the Page
Future dates will be arranged – please contact to express an interest and we’ll keep you informed
A joint venture with Steph Austwick. A series of courses (Reception to Y6) . These sessions follow the terrific success and popularity of the courses in the autumn term of 2016. There will be a new set of books, new approaches and more “hands-on” time devoted to the use of technology. The main focus is on exciting learning activities relating to a picture book (which you will be given). Along the way we’ll also look at some exciting and purposeful uses of tablet technology to motivate and extend learning.
10% discount if three or more places are booked across the suite of courses.£140 +VAT per delegate. For schools subscribing to the Herefordshire Computing Support SLA (Mark Sanderson) – £100. Lunch is provided.
Teaching coding with Scratch at KS2
Date to be arranges
- Scratch is still the number one application for programming in the primary school.
- We’ll take the fear factor away from this application and give you time to complete some projects in a variety of contexts
- The session is aimed at all KS2 teachers and teaching assistants as it is quite important to have a knowledge of the whole programming environment when working with children.
- We’ll give you access to the appropriate strands of the Herefordshire Primary Computing Progression which contains links to ready made lessons allowing you to deliver key objectives of the new Computing curriculum.
- You’ll also use Scratch’s little brother, Scratch Junior which is appropriate for lower KS2 and KS1.
Teaching coding through control for KS2 teachers and TAs
Date to be arranged
- You’ll learn how to use Data Harvest’s Flowgo kit and LEGO’s exciting WeDo, to deliver the programming requirements of the new Computing and D&T programmes of study.
- You’ll learn how to use the software to program models which the children can make.
- We have class sets of kit that you may borrow to use with your children after the event.
Stop frame animation in the primary classroom for teachers and TAs (PC and iPad)
Date to be arranged
- Just think Wallace and Gromit! There is great potential here to link to Literacy and indeed the whole curriculum whilst developing high level Computing capability.
- We’ll look at animation using a computer and an iPad (with scope for you to use whichever is more appropriate for you) and tell you all you need to get up and running with your class.
- NB: We will give you a webcam and a single user licence of ZU3D which you will take away with you (Value £50)
We invite you to bring along two pupil ambassadors to this session to help you back in school (but feel free to come alone).
A film in a day with an iPad (KS1&2)
Date to be arranged
- An action packed day during which you will make a short film.
- iMovie on the iPad is an absolute gift to the primary education. Suddenly it’s possible to achieve so much that was very difficult before.
- You’ll learn about how an understanding of film can help with English and how story writing can be improved when viewed through the lens of a camera
- The core app you will use will be iMovie but we’ll touch on a range of other apps and techniques, such as green screening, that can be used to enhance your film
- You’ll leave with the skills to try projects like this with your children and we’ll give you a couple of sets of BFI classroom resources (worth over £100) to take back to school to inspire you.
We invite you to bring along two pupil ambassadors to this session to help you back in school (it works best with children present but feel free to come alone).