2019 is the third year of this project. Many schools have taken part over the last three years and have created over 30 films inspired by the work of Hereford photographer Derek Evans.
The work of Herefordshire’s primary schools is just a small part of the much wider project, Herefordshire Life Through a Lens led by Catcher Media.
Here is this year’s exciting crop of films that were screened at The ODEON in Hereford on Wednesday 10th July, 2019 to an audience of around 300 children in this year’s film premiere event. Our thanks go to the Hereford ODEON for hosting this once again.
The 11 films from 2018 can be found here
The 12 films made in 2017 are here.
Full details are available on the dedicated project site.
We’ve worked for years with our good friends Rick and Julia Goldsmith (Catcher Media) who are taking the lead on this big 3 year media project entitled “Herefordshire Life Through a Lens”
The project centres around the work of the photographer Derek Evans who was working in Hereford between the 1950s and 1980s. His Hereford studio attracted a good deal of national attention but more importantly his extensive archive gives a unique insight into local life in the 20th Century. Catcher Media has been given access to the whole of this archive and this provides the basis for film making with a strong focus on local and oral history. You can read a lot more about the project on the dedicated website www.herefordshirelifethroughalens.org.uk The films particularly focus on the main themes of:
- Hop picking (or agriculture in a wider sense)
- The Mayfair (Hereford’s and more local fairs / flower festivals)
- Social history around Derek Evans’ Hereford studio (1950 – 1980) and photography in general
- Hereford football Club
- Fownhope Heart of Oak celebrations (or other local rural traditions)
- Or any theme of your own from the selection of Derek Evan’s photos e.g. changes in their local environment, Hereford life, mining, market sellers, musicians.
If you’d like your school to be considered to be involved in future work on this project, please let us know here