Day 6: The man on the moon (last year’s John Lewis ad) – people in need at Christmas (Y5+6)
There’s great creative potential in the excellent Christmas ads that now seem to create a cult of their own each Christmas. I think there is a whole raft of possibilities with last year’s John Lewis ad But here’s one idea:
- Get the children to snapshot some carefully selected stills of the Man on the moon looking down to earth (press the home button and the power button together to do this).
- Get them to do a bit of research into parts of the world where people don’t have such a great time at Christmas and take some snapshots of the ones that particularly interest them (charity sites might be good, Children in need …)
- Use iMovie (trailer – see day 3, or movie) Book Creator (have you seen the great comic books in the latest version?), Pic Collage, Shadow Puppet, Pupet Pals … or any creative app to make their own piece about looking after people at Christmas.
- See Day 4 for tips on sharing these with parents.
- Of course you will need to talk to the children about making sure that it’s OK to use the images they select.
I did some of this with Year 5 at Holmer last year and on Christmas day afternoon some of the children were blogging to ask for help as they continued it.
There are things you could do with this year’s John Lewis ad too and it’s worth checking out their website